The YPartnership "Portrait of Affluent Travellers" report included research on the familiarity, ownership and interest in destination clubs, private residence clubs and fractional ownership.
Of the surveyed audience approximately one in four was familiar with fractional ownership. Only one in five was familiar with destination clubs and private resident clubs. The results for destination clubs were similar to an earlier survey which showed that about 25% of respondents were familiar with destination clubs, although at the time very few could name a club brand.
The YPartnership study was released earlier this year and was based on research carried out in August 2008. A total of 800 respondents participated in this study, of which 794 were defined as affluent leisure travelers and 434 were defined as affluent business travelers.The nationally representative survey of pre-qualified consumers were screened by specific demographic and behavioral characteristics and had:
- a minimum annual household income of $150,000;
- taken one or more overnight trips of at least 75 miles from home for business or leisure purposes during the previous 12 months; and
- stayed in a luxury hotel at least once during the previous 12 months.
|Property||Familiar with %||Ownership of %*||Interest in %**|
|Private residence clubs||18||10||10|
* Among those who are familiar with the respective concept.
** Among those who do not currently own the respective concept.
Note that the survey was done in August 2008 before the current economic turmoil really kicked in. Some of the clubs have subsequently hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons as they have struggled financially.
If you're just becoming aware of these clubs and want to learn more, the best place to start for destination clubs is the destination club section, which has a lot of links to informative articles and research. The private residence club section contains news and reports on the various clubs and what they offer.
- Vacation Home Sales Rise in 2011
- Destination Club Concierges…Is There Anything They Can’t Do?
- Collaborative Consumption of Luxury Assets
- More Familiarity With Destination Clubs And Fractionals
- Private Jet Partnerships with Destination Clubs
- Help, Destination Clubs. Where Do I Start.
- Destination Club Glossary
- Vacation Homes Compared to Destination Clubs
- The Economics of Destination Clubs Compared to Luxury Second Homes
- Can Family Members Use the Destination Club Homes ?
- Destination Clubs Minimum Nights for Vacations
- Destination Club Cost Per Night Calculation Revisited
Latest Destination Club Research
- Time is the Ultimate Luxury
- Top 5 Reasons NOT to Join a Destination Club
- The Top 7 Reasons to Join a Destination Club
- Increasing Interest in Purchasing Access to a Shared Vacation Home
- Destination Clubs - a Rose by Any Other Name?
- Newly Updated Guide to Destination Clubs
- Portico Club Overview
- New Research Identifies Key Factors in Choosing a Destination Club